How-To Guide: Installing Edge Boards For Decking
Installing decking by yourself can be daunting, so EnviroBuild have put together a series of how-to videos to keep things simple. With our top-tips and video tutorials, you can ensure both a quality finish and a swift installation. A detailed installation and maintenance guide for our decking can be found on our website's resource centre.
Hyperion edge boards can be used with the hidden fastener system to create a perfectly flush finish on deck edges and steps and can be installed either parallel or perpendicular to the decking. This finish is for use with Pioneer Edge boards, if you're using Frontier boards, opt for Bullnose Edging.
Our decking can be used in a variety of locations and come in a stylish range of colour options, including natural browns with Oak and Walnut as well as more modern greys in Granite and Stone. Hyperion Pioneer products will naturally lighten over the first 8-10 weeks before stabilising as a result of any exposure to sunlight, as well as the natural tannins (oils) in the wood content leaching from the boards when they get wet. Due to their plastic content, there isn't any need to treat your decking boards, making them easy to maintain and keep clean, with low risk of wet rot over a longer period of time. If you need more help with installation, EnviroBuild have an extensive network of reliable installers we'd happily recommend for your project. Get in contact with us and we'll put you in touch with an installer that can help bring your plans into reality.
- This option is only for use with the Pioneer range.
- Ensure you keep a gap between edge board butt joints of at least 0.2% of the boards length.
- When using edge boards, use decking boards to complete the vertical deck skirting as edge boards are not compatible with Hyperion fascia boards.
- For corners, mitre the ends of the boards at 45 degrees.
- If using a deck board as your fascia, use 3mm or 6mm hidden fasteners to secure the bottom of the edge board.
- If you're not adding a fascia, you can use starter fasteners along the bottom edge.
- Install fasteners at 300 mm intervals.
- Secure the top side of the edge board with 6 mm hidden fasteners and tighten once the first deck board has been put into place.